Happy birthday: GovFresh turns 2
Today is GovFresh’s second birthday, and I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone and take stock of all that we’ve been part of since its inception.
Code for America founder Jen Pahlka and I had coffee a few days ago, and I left realizing I’ve never itemized the work that’s been done via GovFresh which, for my own sanity and inspiration, I’d like to do now.
All of what we’ve been part of has involved people who care and have great passion for improving our civic culture. Every day I get to talk and meet with great people doing great work, and it inspires me to work harder to try keeping up.
‘Good government’ isn’t good enough to them. These people going for great.
With the help of many, here’s what I’m proud to have been part of over the past 2 years:
- Founding/supporting the first major metropolitan open government mayoral forum SFOpen 2011 (with Brian Purchia).
- Founding/supporting monthly San Francisco civic tech meet-up Third Thursdays SF (with Adriel Hampton).
- Launched gov20.govfresh powered by Alex Howard, one of the best government technology journalists in the field.
- Designed CityCamp brand and WordPress theme (.zip) and worked with founder Kevin Curry to make CityCamp an open source brand.
- Serve as Web host for CityCamp, CityCamp San Francisco, CityCamp London, CityCamp Colorado, CityCamp Edmonton and Third Thursdays SF.
- Helped makeover the City of DeLeon, TX.
- manor.govfresh (with Dustin Haisler)
- sf.govfresh (with Adobe Government)
- Founded Gov 2.0 Hero Day.
- Created free government WordPress theme.
- Helped the City of Manor, TX, launch its first open source Website.
- Logo/branding and/or Web design for CityCamp, Gov 2.0 Radio, OpenGov West, GovTwit.
Including starting GovFresh, many of the stories I have about the above involved little deliberation and planning. I’ve always felt it’s important to just do something and go into non-stop iteration mode.
While I don’t have much free time, I’m always open to working with people to help grow what I feel is an important cause. Please feel free to reach out to me with questions, ideas, sponsorship dollars and coffee and iTunes gift cards and free babysitting.
Thank you and happy birthday!